Sweet Potato Hummus
This hummus is for everybody really, as long as you do well with legumes. But if you have a toddler you know they love to dip everything ! My daughter is constantly asking for hummus, she will eat almost anything with hummus on it or even on its own. I find it difficult to find store made brands that do not contain the vegetable oils that we try to avoid (like soybean or canola oils), which is why I try to make it at home.
For the cook time, I said it was two hours but that is just for simmering the chickpeas. You can do this in stages. I usually cook the chickpeas or roast the sweet potato when I'm cooking another meal and then make the hummus at a later day or time. If you do that, then it really just takes a few minutes to throw in the food processor. Hope you enjoy!
"Toddler" Sweet Potato Hummus
Author: Stephanie || Prep time: 10 mins || Cook time: 2 hours || Total time: 2 hours 10 mins
Loaded with healthy fats, protein and fiber this makes for a great snack for everyone but especially toddlers who love to dip everything!
- 2 cups of chickpeas (soak for 24 hours & then boil for 1-2 hours, until soft but not mushy)
- 1 cup roasted sweet potato
- 10 tbps. olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. of water or as much as needed to reach desired consistency
- Start by soaking the chickpeas the day before you plan on making this.
- Once soaked for 24 hours, bring to a boil in water and simmer for 1-2 hours (until soft but not total mush).
- I usually make this when I have extra roasted sweet potato in the house ( like after I make the sweet potato cookies) but you can roast or boil the sweet potato until soft.
- Then place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- I found 1 tbsp. of water is all I need to reach the desired texture and thickness. But you can continue to add little bits at time until it is the consistency you are looking for.
For additional creaminess you can add a tablespoon of tahini. I just personally prefer it without.
You can store in the fridge for 5 days.