Morning Glory Breakfast Muffins
These hearty & dense muffins make for a quick healthy breakfast or just to have as a nice snack to have on hand. They are made with buckwheat and quinoa, both of which are not true grains and highly nutritious! The quinoa adds some protein and the apples and carrots add a lot of flavour. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup shredded raw carrots
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded apple (approximately 2 medium apples)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp of water added
- 1/3 cup coconut oil - melted (could also use grass fed butter or ghee)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice (could add ginger/nutmeg blend instead) - both optional. Just add more cinnamon if leaving out
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Start by adding the flax and the water into a cup or small bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Shred the apples & the carrots, and then set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients as well as the quinoa and mix together.
- Add the coconut oil (melted), almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla and mix by hand.
- Once mixed add the shredded carrots, apples and raisins and mix again by hand until well combined. It will be fairly thick.
- Add mixture to muffin tin lined with parchment baking cups. Makes 12 good sized muffins.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. May take a little longer depending on the type of oven as these were cooked in a convection oven.