This warming smoothie is incredibly heaing with the collagen peptides and mushroom tea and is filled with anti-inflammatory goodness from the tumeric and ginger. This recipe came from my love of tumeric lattes at some of my favourite health food stores around town but then I added the collagen peptides and banana to make it more like a smoothie. It started as my go to quick breakfast in the morning but I love it and noticed an improvement in how I felt (digestion/ skin/ energy levels) that I actually have it most mornings. I love that I can slowly sip it as I get the kids ready for the day. It would also be perfect for new mama's who are both healing in the early postpartum stage and need meals they can eat with one hand!
If your not looking for a smoothie and would rather just a delicious warming drink, simply omit the banana and add a tbsp of raw honey! It makes the perfect afternoon pick me up! Hope you enjoy.
- 1/2 tsp mushroom tea of choice or rooibos tea is a great option for breastfeeding moms
- enough boiling water to fill up your coffee cup
- 1 tsp tumeric root powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger root powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (I use Vital Proteins)
- Tbsp of healthy fat (almond butter/ coconut oil/ ghee)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 banana
- Boil water and add tea to the cup you are using (fill almost to the top) and let steep and cool for a few minutes
- Once slightly cooled down add to the blender (if using a glass blender just make sure things have cooled enough so it doesn't crack the glass)
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until fully mixed and frothy
- Note: There are not many studies on the safety of mushroom teas during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Rooibos tea is wonderful option for breastfeeding or pregnant mamas.
- Note: I have been drinking this as a smoothie for breakfast which is why I added the banana. That is totally optional though. If you omit the banana add a scoop of raw honey or maple syrup instead and you have a latte!)
- Note: Also I have noticed that if I put this in a to-go mug with the lid on and I make the full smoothie with banana it does go kind of chunky in consistency. So simply keep the lid off of leave the banana out if your on the go!